May 17 at 9.30-16.15
IRL: Room 108, School of Social Work, Lund University
Launching Global Discourse Special Issue
At this hybrid symposium, editors, and authors of the Global Discourse Special Issue: “Critical Explorations of Crisis: Politics, Precariousness, and Potentialities”, will present and discuss their contributions. Apart from the speakers in the sessions, the symposium will be opened and closed by Editor in Chief Matthew Johnson, and editors Helle Rydstrom and Mo Hamza from Lund university. No RSVP needed. Welcome!
Helle Rydstrom, Society for Critical Studies of Crisis & Teres Hjärpe, Social Resilience Group.
9.45: Introduction to Special Issue
Global Discourse Editor-in-Chief Matthew Johnson.
10-11.30: Session 1 Chair: Priscilla Solano. Moderator: Simon Turner.
- Didier Fassin: “Preface: Crisis as Experience and Politics”.
- Sylvia Walby: “Crisis and Society: Developing the Theory of Crisis in the Context of Covid”.
- Heidi Gottfried: “Crisis and Change: The Politics of Potentialities (Reply to Walby)”.
- Ravinder Kaur: “Crisis Futures: Covid-19 and the Speculative Turning Point of History”.
LUNCH BREAK: 11.30-12.30
12.30-14.00: Session 2 Chair: Rishi Jha. Moderator: Catia Gregoratti.
- Henrik Vigh: “Slow Crisis: Critical Continuities in Bissau and Beyond”.
- Helle Rydstrom: “The ‘Hardship’ of Ordinary Crises: Gendered Precariousness and Horizonsof Coping in Vietnam’s Industrial Zones”.
- Jonathan D. London: “Social Reproduction meets the World Market (Reply to Rydstrom)”.
- Anne-Meike Fechter: “Humanitarianism, Mobility and Kinship (Reply to Zhukova)”.
COFFEE/TEA BREAK: 14.00-14.30
14.30-16.00: Session 3 Chair: Annette Hill. Moderator: Azher Hameed Qamar.
- Steffen Jensen & Nanna Schneidermann: “Surviving in Overcome Heights: Living in and Alongside Crisis in Cape Town”.
- Jesper Bjarnesen: “The Politics of Urban Displacement and Emplacement in Overcome Heights (Reply to Jensen and Schneidermann)”.
- Jeff Hearn: “The Place and Potential of Crisis/Crises in Critical Studies on Men and Masculinities”.
16.00-16.15: Closing of Symposium
Mo Hamza, Society for Critical Studies of Crisis.
Presenters meet with Global Discourse Editor-in-Chief Matthew Johnson.
16.45-18: On-Campus Gathering
Room 108, School of Social Work, Lund University.
- Bjarnesen, Jesper, Senior Researcher, The Nordic Africa Institute, Uppsala University, Sweden.
- Fassin, Didier, James D. Wolfensohn Professor, Institute of Advanced Studies, Princeton University, USA.
- Fechter, Anne-Meike, Professor, School of Global Studies, University of Sussex, UK.
- Gottfried, Heidi, Professor, Department of Sociology, Wayne State University, USA.
- Gregoratti, Catia, Senior Lecturer, Department of Political Science, Lund University, Denmark.
- Hamza, Mo, Professor, Division of Risk Management and Societal Safety, Lund University, Sweden.
- Hearn, Jeff, Senior Professor, Department of Human Geography, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, Örebro University, Sweden.
- Hill, Annette, Professor, Department of Media and Communication, Lund University, Sweden.
- Hjärpe, Teres, Senior Lecturer, School of Social Work, Lund University, Sweden.
- Jensen, Steffen, Professor, Department of Politics and Society, The Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities, University of Aalborg, Denmark.
- Jha, Rishi, Researcher, School of Social Work, Lund University, Sweden.
- Johnson, Matthew, Professor, Department of Social Sciences, Northumbria University, Newcastle, UK, Editor-in-Chief, Global Discourse.
- Kaur, Ravinder, Professor Department of Cross-Cultural and Regional Studies, University of Copenhagen, Denmark.
- London, Jonathan D. Associate Professor, Global Political Economy, Leiden University, The Netherlands.
- Qamar, Azher Hameed, Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, School of Social Work, Lund University, Sweden.
- Rydstrom, Helle, Professor, Department of Gender Studies and Visiting Professor Division of Social Anthropology, Lund University, Sweden.
- Schneidermann, Nanna, Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Department of Anthropology, Moesgaard, Aarhus University, Denmark.
- Solano, Priscilla, Senior Lecturer, Department of Gender Studies, Lund University, Sweden.
- Turner, Simon, Professor, Division of Social Anthropology, Lund University, Sweden.
- Vigh, Henrik, Professor, Center for Global Criminology, Institute for Anthropology, University of Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Walby, Sylvia, Professor, Department of Law and Criminology, School of Law and Social Sciences, Royal Holloway, University of London, UK.